Friday 27 August 2010

The cape deal...

To cape or not to cape, that is the question...

Capes were all over the Autumn/Winter 2010 catwalks, and with Chloe, Phillip Lim and Celine leading the way it's a sure thing they're going to be big news for fashion followers UK over.

The problem is, I'm not quite convinced by the whole cape thing. When capes first entered the fashion sphere five years, I had a brief but unsuccessful love affair with a cropped, cream military cape. It was lust at first site - the high collar was irresistible and the royal gold buttons and the wrap over detail instantly won me over. And at a high street price, there were no obstacles.


But the romance did not run smoothly. That New Year I went away to the country with my then-boyfriend and his friends. I proudly packed my fashion-forward cape, excited for its first real outing. The result - many mocking comments from the boys, and an inability to wear my beautiful cape without a red, flustered face. Men just do not understand the cape thing, and I can understand why.

Let's face it, capes are not practical. They restrict arm movement and make it rather difficult to carry a handbag. There is also a large risk of looking somewhat like a tent. But it has to be said, capes are so much cooler than the standard winter coat! There is something dramatic and bold about wearing one.


Certain rules do apply though. Stick to skinny trousers to ensure a slim silhouette on the bottom half. And if new to the cape world, start with simple and classic styles rather than the wild and adventurous options out there - one in the shape of a simple pea coat shouldn't be too daunting.

As for me... I think I've carried the scars of teasing boys long enough. Maybe this winter is the time to venture back into cape land...

No comments:

Post a Comment